- introduction of the BRCP and its goals to guests
- introduction of the workshop, the ideas and proposed topics: see notes below
- introduction of participants
Discussion Suggestions Florian
- Who are “we”: We are part of the BRCP, which means we are physicists (or mathematicians close to physics) and we are very critical with our “profession”
- how fundamental is fundamental research today?
- how free is the freedom of science?
- is scientist as it is defined today a good job?
- and especially, can science be done differently?
- all these questions are fundamentally connected to the machinery that we are all part of and that we like to call “academia”
- Thus it is almost inevitably to think science outside academia if we truly want to ask such questions
- Who are you?
- Introduction round for people to get to know each other
- scientists meet artists (why is this interesting?)
- Science outside Academia: We believe that the structure and organization of science influences strongly the way we do science
- we will NOT discuss specific scientific topics, but want to talk about its structure. (That's why we invited also non-physicists)
- when we relax the definitions of sciences that Academia sets, we will of course cross chances, but also many difficulties
- what actually is science if not what a scientist at an institute does?
- what is a scientist, if she or he does not have a contract from a scientific institution?
(for some people these question probably seem very simple, but believe us, the standard scientific apparatus never challenges these presumptions!)
- if science and being a scientist could mean more than the tight definitions of academia allow for, can we do better outside academia?
- can research be done differently then in Academia?
- this is what we want to discuss during this weekend and as a start we chose two perspectives:
session 1 - processes in research
session 2 - biographies in science
- we reduced the predefined program to a minimum to give us a maximal freedom for spontaneous new discussion topics or whatever we together decide to do here
- documentation: this wiki
- coffee/tea etc
- evening in Potsdam/Berlin?
potsdam2019/introduction.txt · Last modified: 2019/12/02 11:36 by florian